Why Immersion as Early Education
The U.S. Department of Education’s Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA) and the American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) have both recently published research on the benefits of learning a second language and immersion as a superior method of teaching.
CARLA explains, “In traditional second language instruction, the target language is the subject of instruction. Immersion programs use the target language for instruction and as a means of communication. This authentic communication allows students to learn a second language in a similar manner to the way that they have learned their first.”
Few benefits The ACTFL highlights of learning a second language:
- Development of students’ reading abilities.
- Increased cognitive development and abilities.
- Higher intelligence.
- Better problem-solving ability.
- Improved verbal and spatial abilities.
- Improved development of print awareness.
In short, young children in immersion programs have the best advantage in developing the pronunciation, structure, and intonation of the new language easily and successfully. This is a time in our lives when acquiring a second language comes very naturally.
Children who learn a second language from an early age show consistent superior mathematical conceptualization, problem-solving skills, verbal acumen, and creativity.
More references on the advantages of learning a second language at this young age:
- For a Better Brain, Learn Another Language, The Atlantic, October 2014
- Spanish-Language Immersion Schools Gain in Popularity, NBC News, October 2014
- Could Bilingual Education Mold Kids’ Brains to Better Resist Distraction?, Mind/Shift, September 2014
- Why Bilinguals Are Smarter, The New York Times, March 2012
- The Bilingual Advantage, The New York Times, May 2011
- Bilingual Kids Show Cognitive Advantages, PsychCentral, November 2010
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages (ACTFL) Website
We are a Spanish immersion school in Keller, Texas. To learn more about Caminito Spanish Immersion Private Preschool & Montessori, please call us at 817-627-8727. Do you want to visit our facility? Schedule a Tour now.